Group lessons provide a social environment for learning to swim and water safety skills. Our group classes are 30-minutes long with the exception of the Pre-Swim Team, which is 1-hour. Our sessions will meet twice each week, Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday, and/or once each week, Saturday. Swim Program returning Spring 2019!
Please call at (562)-795-2628 for Private & Semi-Private Lesson availability. You must be approved for Private/Semi-Private Lessons before purchasing. Private & Semi-Private Lessons are purchased in a package of 6 lessons, each lesson 30-minutes.
Swim evaluations are required for registration; excluding any participant under the age of 3, beginners with no prior swim instruction and adults. Please contact us to arrange a day and time that best suits your availability. If you have any questions regarding which class to register for please contact us at (562)-795-2628.
SWIM LESSON RATES
|Pre-Swim Team Sat.||$58||$73||$85|
Military registrants must provide Valid ID (Active Duty, Retiree, DHS or DOD)
on the first day of class otherwise you may be required to make additional payment.
SESSION & REGISTRATION DATES FOR 2019 – TBA
|Session Dates||Registration Dates|
|Military||Veteran & Civilian|
April 22 – May 25
|April 8||April 15|
May 28 – June 29
|May 20||May 23|
July 1 – August 3
|June 24||June 27|
August 5 – September 7
|July 29||August 1|
September 9 – October 12
|September 2||September 5|
REGISTRATION & POLICIES
- A class must have a minimum of three (3) participants in order to occur. MWR has the right to cancel a class due to low participation and registrants will receive a full refund.
- A week before the end of each session, our swim instructors will provide participants with a report card informing them of the recommended class level to take in the next session. Once given the report card, you must register to the level which was recommended by the swim instructor.
- Missed Class Policy: Missed lessons are not credited or refunded.
- Cancellation Policy: If MWR must cancel a class/lesson, we will schedule a makeup lesson accordingly. In the event a swim instructor is absent or we experience a problem with the pool/facility, we will make every effort to contact you prior to your class. If a substitute instructor is available, the class will be taught as scheduled and no makeup lesson will be offered.
- Vacations: Please understand the swim instructors are there to teach the participant, for the reserved class time, even if the participant does not show up. It is your responsibility to schedule your lesson in a time that fits your schedule. If you need to be to removed from the class roster for an extended period of time due to travel, please call the office for guidelines.
- Illnesses: A refund may be issued due to illness or injury of the participant. Authorized documentation will be required.
- Holidays: Makeup lessons will not be offered for holidays. We will close for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. MWR will prorate those months accordingly.
- Refunds: Must be submitted to the Aquatics office and are subject to review by Recreation Coordinator. A $10.00 service fee, per participant, per class, will be issued. Once notified of approval, no later than 30-days to retrieve the refund.
GROUP CLASS LEVELS
Class Schedules: Days and times are subject to change.
TODDLERS (6 months-3 years)
STARFISH (Parent & Child): Class requires an adult, must know how to swim, to accompany the child in the water. Child must wear swim diapers. Through songs and games we create a safe, comfortable, and fun atmosphere for learning. Swimmers are beginning to learn socialization skills, water safety and motor skills while exploring breath control, balance and buoyancy. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 6.
JELLYFISH (Toddlers 2-3 years): Class requires swim evaluation or pass from Parent & Child class. This is an introduction to group classes without parent/guardian in the water with child. Children are learning water safety skills, horizontal flotation on front and back, breath control, refine motor skills, and begin submersion. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 3.
PRE-SCHOOL (3-5 years)
SEAHORSE (Level 1): This is an introduction class for beginners. Children are learning water safety skills, horizontal flotation on front and back, breath control, refine motor skills, and begin submersion. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
CLOWNFISH (Level 2): The swimmer is comfortable in the water and able to float on front and back unassisted. Children are learning to streamline, proper propulsion, arm strokes, and proper kicking technique for freestyle/backstroke and elementary backstroke. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
BELUGA (Level 3): The swimmer is independent in the water and able to swim 15-feet unassisted. Children are improving breath control, stroke timing with head and body rotation, and developing freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
SCHOOL-AGE (6-13 years)
Level 1: This is an introduction class for beginners. Children are learning water safety skills, horizontal flotation on front and back, breath control, refine motor skills, and begin submersion, streamline, proper propulsion, arm strokes, and proper kicking technique for freestyle/backstroke and elementary backstroke. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
Level 2: The swimmer is comfortable in the water, able to float on front and back unassisted and swim 15-feet assisted. Swimmers are gaining strength, side breathing, stroke timing with head and body rotation, and developing freestyle/backstroke. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 5.
Level 3: The swimmer is independent in the water and able to swim unassisted. Swimmers continue to perfect freestyle and backstroke while building their strength and endurance. New skills introduced including: breaststroke, beginning diving skills and treading water. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 5.
Level 4: Swimmers are developing their newfound skill in breaststroke and utilizing their core body strength with arms and stroke. New skills introduced including: dolphin kicking and assisted standing dives. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 5.
Level 5: Swimmers apply and coordinate balance, buoyancy and body position to improve efficiency. The swimmer learns butterfly and cultivates dives and turns. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 6.
Level 6: Swimmers are now proficient in freestyle, backstroke and skilled in breaststroke and butterfly. The swimmer is learning how to refine their body positioning and how to effectively incorporate their arms, utilizing the momentum of the stroke to its maximum. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 6.
Pre-Swim Team (One-hour class): This is an advanced class for competitive swimming. The swimmer is learning proper skills, turns and finishes through workouts, drills and exercises to advance their swimming abilities. Swimmers are educated in terminology, pace clocks, wall work and specific swimming events. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 10.
ADULT (14+ years)
Beginner-Intermediate: This is class is for beginner to intermediate swimmers. Swimmers will learn how to comfortable in the water, breath control, horizontal flotation on front and back, and begin submersion. Swimmers are gaining strength, side-breathing, stroke timing with head and body rotation, and developing freestyle/backstroke. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
Intermediate-Advanced: This is a class for intermediate to advanced swimmers. Swimmers will build upon the skills they have already learned and work on refining their technique and stamina in the water. The instructor/student ratio is 1 to 4.
Swim Lesson Questionnaire
Please fill out this questionnaire so we can better service you.